Posted to rec.woodworking
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

Default Porch railing

On Sunday, November 18, 2018 at 2:47:10 PM UTC-5, dpb wrote:
On 11/18/2018 12:59 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Wednesday, November 14, 2018 at 9:44:09 PM UTC-5, wrote:

I live in NW GA (Atlanta), so the maximum temperature isn't likely
worse that what you see. Just more days above ~90F (and more humidity,
which is irrelevant in this case).

Do you you live in an area that gets snow? (If you mentioned it, sorry, I
missed it.) If you do, how do you remove the snow, assuming that's an issue?

It was right there...he's in Hotlanta...not _much_ snow.

The facility to be able to not have to go over or around is useful where
is snow, however, "trudat!".

Yep, "over" sucks, especially when it's wet and heavy (like yesterday's snow).

"Around" in my case means I'm shoveling onto a landing and then down
9 steps. Shoveling steps sucks almost as much as going over a railing.

If I ever replace the railing or build another deck in a snowy area,
snow removal will be part of the design criteria. At a minimum, I'll
use a gate of some type that only opens a bottom section of the railing.
The ~9" gap I use now is more than enough and I still have a railing to
keep me from going over the edge if I lose concentration.