Posted to rec.woodworking
Unquestionably Confused[_4_] Unquestionably Confused[_4_] is offline

Default heat for garage/shop?

On 11/15/2018 9:37 AM, swalker wrote:
On Tue, 13 Nov 2018 13:49:42 -0700, Just Wondering wrote:

On 11/12/2018 7:33 PM, sawdustmaker wrote:
I have a double burner propane heater I've been using to heat the
garage/shop for quite some time. I've grown tired of the smell. Does anyone
have other recommendations? A wood stove isn't an option since vehicles are
in there at night. The other restriction is that I only have 120 volts. Of
course the ultimate answer would be to have a dedicated shop, but...

How about a heat pump? Something like this ...
https://www.amazon.com/PIONEER-Air-C...pSrc=srch&th=1

The SEER for this unit seems pretty low for a mini-split. Wonder why.
Any HVAC workers around?

Considering the average 12,000BTU window or through wall AC unit (at
120v) has a CEER or SEER rating of 10.5 or less, 17.2 is nothing to
sneeze at. Don't recall what the 12,000BTU unit we replaced with this
split system had, but our electric bill dropped and even if it hadn't
we'd be happy as this is whisper (literally) quiet.

This Pioneer unit was not significantly more expensive than a top of the
line thru wall unit of the same capacity. My only regret with the
purchase is that we didn't start with this unit.

If you look into the additional cost involved with very high SEER rated
units and computer energy savings over a 15 year period, you'll find
that you're coming up at least $1,000 short. High SEER looks good,
sells good, but really isn't worth it.