Default Furnace making loud grinding noise

"CBhvac" stephenaddressscfrewedonpurpose@carolinabreezehva c.com wrote in message ...

Not to be a smartass, but you ARE in over your head.

I don't think so.

and you are screwing
with something that CAN possibly snuff you out and no one know it.

I'm cautious enough that I can work my way through. I did have
electric training years ago, so I'm aware of what I can and can't do,
and how to do it safely.
The system has a air sensor which shuts off the furnace if it doesn't
detect a negative pressure, which is why the furnace isn't working.
The motor has all the right specs. 3000 rpm, 1/20 hp, shaded pole, 2
wire, no capacitor. I was not sure about the direction, and wanted to
have the option to reverse direction. Dual shaft was the only way I
could think of.

I detest contractors keeping information from me. The contractor that
was here for one hour trying to troubleshoot, checked everything, but
stopped short of opening the box outside that has the faulty motor.
Had he opened it, I would have seen how simple it really is. I think
he didn't want me to see it. Instead, he didn't open it, went away,
and told me the next day that it would cost $600 in parts, and $250 of
labor because it is a hard thing to replace.

I must and have to solve it myself.

Inducer motors are cheap, and easy to get.

It is, $55.75 for the motor.

Get the right damn part before
you get hurt.

The motor has all the right specs, and sawing off the end is not
unsafe I believe. I'll smooth off the edges so it isn't sharp.

since what you have posted is enough to know that you really
need to stop.

Many people would probably do it secretly because they'd be afraid of
someone ratting on them. Others are afraid of being made to feel
stupid and incompetent.
I don't really care, I'm quite confident, and being careful. I know
not to get into actual gas territory, because for that I believe the
proper training is required to know the pitfalls and gotchas.

The part I'm doing is particularly easy, because it isn't near the
furnace, it's just mechanical, and it's backed up by a safety shutoff
mechanism.

I would have to agree that there *is* oportunity to hurt yourself.
The fan rotates at 3000 rpm, and could cause injury. I think I'm ok
here.