Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Welding

On Thursday, 15 November 2018 03:27:48 UTC, Rob Morley wrote:
On Tue, 13 Nov 2018 21:48:15 +0000
newshound wrote:

I can't do thin stuff with MIG, I end up squirting a length of wire
through the hole that I've just made. I do much better with an
inverter and rods. (This is the little £90 chinese unit from Lidl)..

When you're working near the limit with MIG you can pulse it rather
than applying continuous power, but that can result in a discontinuous
weld or poor penetration. Button welds (spot welds made with a MIG)
can be a useful technique if you don't need a continuous seam.

there's also the bitumen & coal dust trick to get 'continuous' welds.