Posted to rec.woodworking
Keith nuttle Keith nuttle is offline

Default Porch railing

On 11/14/2018 9:02 PM, wrote:
On Wed, 14 Nov 2018 10:57:47 -0600, dpb wrote:

On 11/13/2018 8:42 PM,
wrote:
On Tue, 13 Nov 2018 14:43:45 -0600, dpb wrote:

On 11/13/2018 11:34 AM, Puckdropper wrote:

I've got a few of the solid Trex composite railings. They sag easily.
One of my stair railings is about 6' and has at least a 1" sag in the
middle. They're still pretty close to the same color (it fades like
vinyl siding does) and in good shape after about 8 years.

Puckdropper

Yeah, in midsummer KS sun, it's about like a wet noodle and retains
"set" when cools.

If it's supported with balusters every 6" (or whatever the code is),
it should be good? I need to replace my deck's decking next year and
I don't want to waste money on wood again. I'd love to extend the
deck, too, but not sure I'm up for that.

The whole thing can sag; it would need at least one intermediate support
over the 6-ft span from what I've observed in town here. If weather not
so extreme as SW KS and the like, "maybe" it'd be ok.

I live in NW GA (Atlanta), so the maximum temperature isn't likely
worse that what you see. Just more days above ~90F (and more humidity,
which is irrelevant in this case).

Also will burn to the touch in direct sun to point of blistering tender
skin...

Been sliding down the banister nekkid again, huh? ;-)

The particular case I saw was a toddler...but that too, could be a
problem, granted...

OP: I have talked to a contractor and found that that railing must be
able to support 200 pounds outward pressure. There are 12 foot lengths
(10.5' longest run) of a vinyl made that meet the requirement. It is
reinforced by a metal "bar", and will be supported by blocks sitting on
the porch floor.

He is getting me a quote. I am sure that it can not be more than what
it was going to cost to get it stripped, primed and painted.

--
2018: The year we learn to play the great game of Euchre