Posted to rec.woodworking
Puckdropper Puckdropper is offline

Default Porch railing

wrote in
:

On Wed, 14 Nov 2018 10:57:47 -0600, dpb wrote:
The whole thing can sag; it would need at least one intermediate
support over the 6-ft span from what I've observed in town here. If
weather not so extreme as SW KS and the like, "maybe" it'd be ok.

I live in NW GA (Atlanta), so the maximum temperature isn't likely
worse that what you see. Just more days above ~90F (and more humidity,
which is irrelevant in this case).

If you support that bottom rail or better yet build it out of a material
that can support itself, you'll be ok. When that bottom rail starts
sagging the whole thing will sag.

There are some Trex sleeves (I haven't looked recently, they may not be
available any more) that let you keep the look of composite but have wood
inside there for strength.

Puckdropper