Posted to uk.d-i-y
Cursitor Doom[_4_] Cursitor Doom[_4_] is offline

Default Welding

On Wed, 14 Nov 2018 02:15:10 -0800, Tricky Dicky wrote:

We had a woman working at our place who on the day of her retirement
announced she had spent the war years welding Churchill tanks so we
brought her down to the workshop to have a go on "Ol' Sparky" . It was
like a duck to water as if she had only stopped the day before, if only
I knew of her before especially when I looked at my miserable efforts.

Remarkable. I *always* find if I've not picked up an electrode for 18
months or more I have to waste at least a dozen or so rods getting the
feel for it again. And it's always the same two mistakes I initially
make: making a pass too quickly and not tucking the rod in sufficiently.
Clearly she's a natural born welder; I'm not! (I normally get the current
right straight from the get-go within 5A either way though).