Posted to rec.woodworking
Unquestionably Confused[_4_] Unquestionably Confused[_4_] is offline

Default heat for garage/shop?

On 11/13/2018 2:49 PM, Just Wondering wrote:
On 11/12/2018 7:33 PM, sawdustmaker wrote:
I have a double burner propane heater I've been using to heat the
garage/shop for quite some time. I've grown tired of the smell. Does
anyone
have other recommendations? A wood stove isn't an option since
vehicles are
in there at night. The other restriction is that I only have 120
volts. Of
course the ultimate answer would be to have a dedicated shop, but...

How about a heat pump?Â* Something like this ...
https://www.amazon.com/PIONEER-Air-C...pSrc=srch&th=1

I have 220v in my shop (no gas, LP or otherwise on the premises) and so
was able to install a small electric unit that does a GREAT job of
bringing the insulated shop up to 70 degrees from ~ 45 degrees which
I've set as the minimum temp out there. We're on a "total electric"
rate plan and it hasn't been a problem. Only problem I encountered was
having to cut a hole in the wall for a 12K BTU through wall AC unit when
SWMBO saw how comfy the shop was in the dead of winter. Said she,
"Well, it only makes sense, you use the shop in the summer just as much
if not more, why sweat in the summer?" Did I mention that she's a "Keeper?"

That said, I could have just as easily installed (for roughly the same
price) the Pioneer split-system that Just Wondering mentions. I have
the exact same unit in our 504 sq foot family room. It's cheap, so
quiet you literally have to stand next to the air handler to hear it,
and does a great job of heating and cooling.