Posted to uk.d-i-y
87213 87213 is offline

Default Welding

"Chris" wrote in message
news
Hi all,

Realistically, what is the thinnest gauge of steel one can satisfactorily
weld
using an arc (stick) welder before blowing holes makes it next to
impossible?

That depends on your skill. Everyone told me that the slotted
Dexion square tube was too thin to arc weld, but they were
wrong, if you know what you are doing it arc welds fine;

And similarly, I was shocked speechless at what a complete
and utter obscenity a mate of mine, a farmer, made of the
full rack for his Landrover, using 1" square RHS.

(I'm not talking about some time-served, fully skilled, coded
bloke with all the certification; just an experienced DIYer.)

I learned to weld by doing it, no instruction let alone certification.

So the short story is there is no simple answer to your
question, it depends on how good your welding skills are.