Posted to rec.woodworking
Puckdropper Puckdropper is offline

Default Porch railing

Keith Nuttle wrote in
news
Our house is about 10 years old. Four years ago we had the porch
painted, and within a year the paint started coming of in square inch
pieces.

It appeared that treated lumber had been used and not properly primed
before the originally being painted. The guy that painted it four
years ago, only sanded and painted.

It became obvious that more was needed and I started to take the paint
off with paint stripper. It quickly became obvious that this may not
be the best way as at the rate I was going it would take a year.

I asked a painter for a quote, and got it but he highly recommended
going with one of the new composite railings.

Is any one knowledgeable about this type of material for porches?

Does it come in 12' lengths as would be needed for the porch?

Is there any better suggestion to get a porch rail that will last for
a while, with minimal maintenance.

Thank you in advance

I've got a few of the solid Trex composite railings. They sag easily.
One of my stair railings is about 6' and has at least a 1" sag in the
middle. They're still pretty close to the same color (it fades like
vinyl siding does) and in good shape after about 8 years.

Puckdropper