Art Todesco

Default Cutting cast iron sewer pipe ?

Oops, I forgot to mention, when I did it, I made a "plug" from a
bunch of plastic grocery bags. I tied a string around the
bundle and pushed it into the pipe. Did the cutting, and then
pulled out the "plug." This also prevented me from smelling the
sewer gas.

wrote:
My inuition is warniing me about a potential fire or explosion from
the sewer gas ( methane & H2S ) if using a high speed spark
generating abrasive wheel on a circular saw or angle grinder . I
wonder if it is something to worry about .

On Wed, 28 Jan 2004 00:05:11 GMT, "rb608"
wrote:

wrote in message

I need to a cut a 4" cast iron sewer line and am wondering whether to
use a rental chain type cutter or buy those treated sawzall blade ?

Did this recently myself. The sawzall was taking forever; so I put an
abrasive cutting blade on the circular saw. Worked like a charm.

FWIW,
Joe F.