Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Variac question

wrote:

Phil Allison wrote:
tabby wrote:

There are unique conditions in which an isolation transformer
does not prevent the risk of electric shock.
Therefore they increase the risk of electric shock.

** What I wrote was that if the use of an iso tranny is not essential,
you are better off not using one and taking all the usual precautions
instead.

This detailed article by Rod Elliot explains why using an iso is
hazardous - not that reading it will have the slightest impact
on wooden heads like you or NT.

http://sound.whsites.net/articles/iso-xfmr.htm

an article with a lot of errors & dubious assumptions,

** All your posts are like that - but not the above.

If I get the time I'll go through it.

** The context shifting bull****ter has not even read it.

Yawwwnnnn.......

FYI:

The use of an RCD, ELCB or other earth leakage detector ( aka safety
switch) on a workbench is a safety essential.

I fixed lots of TVs with no such 'essential'. Most were live chassis.
Any sensible person would advise using one now, but essential?

** Try learning to read sometime - the phrase was "safety essential."

Obviously your life is not worth much.

...... Phil