Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Fox's Mercantile Fox's Mercantile is offline

Default Variac question

I have a large (20 amp) Sola harmonically balanced constant
voltage transformer. I cut the neutral common and use a SPDT
center off switch, so I can select Utility Neutral, floating
(i.e. isolation) and Local Neutral (tied to the ground at
the transformer.)

Following that I have a 20 amp Variac, that I can wind up
from 0-132 VAC. With a 2-5-10 selectable amp meter.

Finally, a custom 4-terminal dynamic watt meter. 0-1500 watts.

What do I use it for? Very rarely.
The time I used it was to test the applied voltages on some
1947 to 1959 boat anchors to see "just how much over voltage"
they were at 125 vac line vs 110 vac line voltages.

Solution? Using a 5-10 amp filament transformer in the buck
mode to drop the line voltage back down to 115 vac.

Do I waste my time reforming capacitors? No. And certainly
NOT in customer equipment. Saving $5-20 on a repair is NOT
worth a warranty repair.

Sure, I'll fix it for free, but my reputation takes a hit.
"Why didn't you fix it right to begin with?"
Apparently, "because I was lazy" is not an appropriate answer.

--
"I am a river to my people."
Jeff-1.0