Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Forge test

Nice. Normally aspirated or forced air?

"Terry Coombs" wrote in message news
I decided to see just how long it would take to bring a piece of
alloy steel up to heat . This is a piece of stock that is very similar
(if not the actual alloy) to 4130/4140 steel , in spark test and
workability/hardenability . So I lit the burner at 9 this morning ,
flame set on medium/low , and put this piece 2.75" diameter and 3.5"
long in to soak . I kinda forgot about it until 9:30 , when I checked
the piece was red hot shading to oranges right under the flame . I don't
know how long it had been at red heat , but I consider the test a
complete success . Just checked , the chunk is still too hot to touch .
Furnace opening and burner baffle were both closed when I shut it off at
9:30 , so apparently it holds the heat well too .

'

--
Snag
Yes , I'm old