Posted to alt.home.repair
=?iso-8859-15?Q?Tekkie=AE?= =?iso-8859-15?Q?Tekkie=AE?= is offline

Default Inline Pigtail Splice

posted for all of us...

On Tue, 6 Nov 2018 17:39:33 -0600, dpb wrote:

On 11/6/2018 4:45 PM,
wrote:
On Tue, 06 Nov 2018 17:02:20 -0500, Clare Snyder
wrote:

On Tue, 06 Nov 2018 13:19:24 -0500,
wrote:

On Tue, 6 Nov 2018 12:09:30 -0600, dpb wrote:

On 11/6/2018 11:17 AM,
wrote:
On Tue, 6 Nov 2018 07:31:57 -0600, dpb wrote:

Way back when put in the feedlot and wired the waterers for the heaters,
Dad used a crimp-on connector that went around (stripped section ~1"
long) 4 GA AL feed and allowed a #14 to #10 pigtail to be joined for the
individual boxes without having to cut the main feeder.

I'm needing to add a new connection and can't find anything similar nor
think of exactly what to call it to search...anybody got a clue or lead
to one?

I'd really like to not have to insert a splice...

Probably not a Home Depot thing but any real electrical supply will
have them

https://commerce.ilsco.com/e2wShoppingCatalog.aspx?parentId=3100012894&parent Link=2100001183

Well, that's pretty strong assumption for the one supply here in town...

I can't tell for sure; those by the figure look to be inserted both ends
with insulation-penetrating connections.

Here's what was looking for
https://commerce.ilsco.com/e2wShoppingCatalog.aspx?parentId=3100012836&parent Link=2100001183:3100012197:3100012198:3100012836

excepting they don't seem to have the smaller conductor tap option.

I couldn't think of the "H-tap" description before; and to my surprise
they did actually have some on hand so I'm all set here after dinner...

I was just trying to get you into the catalog. The Kupl Tap does
separate to go over existing conductors.
Try Burndy Servit connectors - split bolt -

That requires stripping a potentially "hot" connection and you end up
taping them back up. The Kupl Tap can be installed hot and there is no
insulation to repair.
The first time I saw them, my first thought was "these were made to
steal power" ... but that would be wrong. ;-)

Couldn't tell about the separation and the catalog didn't seem to have
datasheets.

I'll have to look into them more for future; at the moment I needed
something now, having waited until the last warm day before weather hits
to get the heater going again...

The local distributor did have a Blackburn of the right size in stock to
my extreme surprise so I'm not in business...water is on and the heater
is just waiting for 20 F in a day or so they say...today was 65F while
tomorrow is only mid-40s so figured I'd enjoy the task far more today
than to wait.

I got a few in a sample pack that they were handing out in an
inspector meeting. I wasn't sure where you might buy them. It did look
like an interesting product to me tho. The Ilsco guy was saying it was
the best thing since sliced bread but that is what those type of guys
do for a living.

You mean "salesman", puffery and buffoon-ism? No way...

--
Tekkie