Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andrew[_22_] Andrew[_22_] is offline

Default Replacing a WC pan - clay pipe connection.

On 06/11/2018 13:48, Chris French wrote:
Chris Hogg Wrote in message:
On Tue, 6 Nov 2018 09:32:34 +0000 (GMT+00:00), Chris wrote:Hi folks.Ok, downstairs toilet is a S trap pan cemented into a clay pipe sticking out of the floor. Low level WC, not close coupled. A measurement of the end of the pan trap is about 110 mm. So and old size pan with a slightly larger size outlet than modern ones it seems.The pan has cracked on the exit part of the trap such that it leaks, so it needs replacing.My main concern is not breaking the clay pipe :-)Any experience /suggestions on the best approach?Drain the trap to below the level of the leak. Dry the outside of theS-trap in the area of the crack. Apply generous layer ofepoxy/sticks-like-****/whatever over crack and allow to harden. Refilltrap. Job done.Not technically the 'best' solution, but certainly the easiest andcheapest.-- Chris

The crack goes all the way round the pipe, (sort of round the top
of upper curve of the S) there is another crack running from
that horizontally about half way round the pipe.

I have smeared some MS polymer sealant/adhesive over it, which has
I think stopped the leak) but it's only going to get worse, and I
suspect next will be a total failure (probably over Xmas :-))It's
also the toilet which gets the most use being downstairs.

So I'd rather do a planned replacement, than do it more of a
hurry. We have 2 other toilets, so I can take my time if
necessary.

Next problem.

Hardly any S-trap bogs are now made these days.