Terry G

Default How much torque necessary for metal cutting bandsaw?

Thanks for all the advice.

I haven't had much luck finding a 1 hp ac gearmotor. The biggest I found,
and was considering getting was a 1/2 HP gearmotor that turned 151 rpm with
180 in/lbs of torque. With the proper gear reduction, I will be able to get
my blade around 80 FPM. Since I am running a 10:1 pulley reduction at the
output of the gearmotor, that would translate to 1800 in/lbs of torque at
the blade.

I don't know if it makes a difference if I am using a gearmotor, or a
standard motor. I do have a 1HP 1720rpm motor that runs the saw normally,
but could I go down in horsepower since I am now running through a gear box,
and a 10:1 pulley reduction?

What other sources besides ebay, and varies surplus stores would have
something like this at a reasonable price? Maybe I am looking for the wrong
thing?

Thanks

"Randal O'Brian" wrote in message
Buy the biggest gearmotor you can fit into your machine design. My 14"
Delta has a 1HP motor and it is pretty slow cutting 1/2" mild steel with

the
14 tpi blade running at 100 ft/min. In general, the required torque

varies
with the thickness of the workpiece, workpiece material, blade tpi, feed
pressure, lube or not, wheel dia., etc. Hp determines the cutting speed
once you get the blade fpm correct for the workpiece material and I
recommend you go for at least 3/4 hp as an absolute minimum. 1 hp is

about
right for a hand fed saw .

Randy

"Terry G" wrote in message
Thanks for all the advice. I am pretty familiar with the ratios I need

achieve, and the blade speeds, but I was just looking for an average

torque
so I can determine the size motor to get.

I am going to be installing a second motor, along with my current 1720

RPM
1HP that I currently use for wood. I have a 10 to 1 reduction at the
slowest speed using 3 pulleys and two belts. I will be installing an ac
gearmotor that will run around 150 to 250 rpm, and use the existing 10

1
reduction I have. This will bring my spindle RPM down to around 20,

which
will make my blade speed around 80 FPM.

I am a little concerned about belt slippage, but I won't be doing to

much
heavy duty cutting, and I am usually not in any rush. I can tighten the
belts up pretty well.

So my last bit of missing information is what power ac gearmotor do I

buy.
Since I am going through another 10 : 1 reduction I should be able to
multiply the torque rating of the motor by 10 and get my final torque

at
the blade.

Almost all the ac gearmotors I have looked at have a torque rating. I

am
looking at a 1/3HP motor that turns 180 RPM with 100 in/lbs of torque.

So
after I go through my pulley reduction, I should have about 65 FPM blade
speed with around 1000 in/lbs of torque. Does this sound like it would
work? I am not sure what type of steel, or exactly how thick I will be
cutting, therefore I am not sure what blade I will be buying. But I

will
be
doing lighter duty stuff, probably no more than 1/2" steel, and very

little
of it.

I just want to make sure I buy a motor that will be sufficient enough

since
I really have no idea what type of motors, and gear reduction the

average
lower cost metal band saws use.

Thanks.

"Randal O'Brian" wrote in message
You need about 3/4 HP minimum(more is better) for decent cutting

speed.
The
blade speed should be between 100 and 150 ft/min for ferrous metals.
These two numbers along with the wheel diameter and the motor speed
determine your total reduction ratio and the torque required.

Belt drive is iffy for the final drive to the blade drive wheel

because
of
slippage with reasonable size pulleys, say 6" or less. It can be

done
if
you use a tight belt and keep it tight with an adjustable mount.

Bicycle
chain or cog belt drive is better. You need a constant hp drive(

belts
and
pulleys or gears) which rules out a VFD if you are looking to get max.
performance of the saw and motor at any speed.

Commercial saws such as the Delta or Wilton wood/metal use a

combination
of
belt and gear drive to get about 8 different speeds. You can get by

with
2500 ft/min for wood/plastic/brass/aluminum and 100 ft./min for

ferrous
metals.

Randy

"Terry G" wrote in message
I was wondering what the torque at the blade of a metal cutting

bandsaw
would be for a lighter duty machine. Or how powerful a motor do

these
machines run, and what type of gear reduction do they use.

Thanks.