Posted to uk.d-i-y
AnthonyL AnthonyL is offline

Default Boarded victorian loft weight

On Mon, 5 Nov 2018 12:35:34 -0800 (PST), wrote:

On Monday, 5 November 2018 19:44:04 UTC, BenTenBox wrote:
replying to Bob Eager, BenTenBox wrote:
Sorry for the dumb question but how do I tell?

Wood bends a long way before it breaks, if you overload it you'll get ceiling plaster cracking & sagging. When it's sagged 6" or a foot or so it might then snap.

Indeed. The previous owner had removed the remaining archway to a
room that was knocked through to the lounge and the boarded loft
sloped both sides towards the non-existent support. The ceiling was
showing cracking. When a beam was put in I think they lift the whole
thing up about 6" (3" x 2" joists).

The owner previous to that had taken out the purlin supports to make
more space in the loft and the surveyor noted the roof sag. The
purlins are bowed to a point that the builders were happy to provide
support but not to jack back up to the original position.

I'm a hoarder and have stacks of stuff up in the loft, the heavier
gear nearer the edges and I have used planks to spread load where I
consider necessary. Thus far no sign of any movement but I'm
conscious that a clear out would be warranted or shelving attached to
the end gables.

--
AnthonyL