Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Dangerous copper clad aluminium stranded flex warning

In article ,
Fredxx wrote:
In article ,
Tim Watts wrote:
http://www.aci.org.uk/news/aci-warns...-flexible-cord

Turkey again - haven't forgiven them for the dodgy T+E debacle (I
escaped but not until some panic - I had used a lot of cable from a
maker with a not dissimilar name).

QA seems to be somewhat wanting over there.

And we'll soon be able to import such crap nice and easily once free of
those dreadful EU regs.

Quite the opposite. Given Turkish goods are free to enter the EU I would
say this is because of the EU rules and regulations that allow anyone to
manufacture in a developing EU country and pass it off as safe.

As soon as we have a border and importation becomes the responsibility
of a UK entity, things will become a lot safer.

Have you never come across the BSI and its standards? You seem to have
led a blinkered life believing all standards started with the EU?

Ah - right. Are you saying that such cable doesn't conform to UK regs, but
is forced upon us by the EU?

BTW, the UK is free as part of the EU to impose tariffs on goods from
Turkey.

--
*Keep honking...I'm reloading.

Dave Plowman London SW