Posted to uk.d-i-y
harry harry is offline

Default Boarded victorian loft weight

On Monday, 5 November 2018 11:44:06 UTC, BenTenBox wrote:
Morning.

My wife and I have moved into a victorian semi detached house. Our loft was
already boarded when we moved in and I wondered what it was Ok to store up
there as I know they were not built to take weight. I've attached a few
pictures but the roof is of Purlin construction and the joists/rafters are
2inch by 4 inch and spaced a foot apart and the chipboard that was laid is
almost an inch thick. As we've just moved in I've put some boxes up there but
nothing that heavy, things like sailing jackets, camping bits like a tent and
sleeping bags, and we've got some old clothes and pans. I've not got any
stacked book boxes or anything.

My question was really does this seem like a reasonable weight considering the
structure?
https://www.homeownershub.com/img/gn
https://www.homeownershub.com/img/go
https://www.homeownershub.com/img/gp
https://www.homeownershub.com/img/gq

You can strengthen is significantly by screwing a "joist" on top of the floor, at right angles to existing joists and right underneath the purlin.
Then put in hangers between this new joist and the purins