kevins_news

Default How fast should interior temperature drop?

On Thu, 29 Jan 2004 02:16:45 GMT, "George E. Cawthon"
wrote:

m Ransley wrote:

As i said It was windy on the first test only an hr test, second test no
wind a 1 hr test 1 degree drop. I have r 100 - 110 in attic , apx r 30
walls, a fully insulated basement r-14 , and r7.2 Under, concrete
floor. New windows and doors, dual - tri pane.
For 1800 sq my gas bill was 50 total utilities 1 yr with central air
600. So Id say im doing alot of things right.
Did your test run with any incandesant lights on , A 100 watt light
bulb is a 90 watt heater putting out 10 watts of light, 10 bulbs 900
watt around 3000 btu hr. Cant have a fair test that way. Was it on a
sunny day . Whatever. My redo cut my bills 75 -80 % and my temp drop
is low as my bills prove

You've got insulation that is way beyond most of us. And
you confirmed what I was saying, "you have to know all the
factors to make a comparison." Sorry I missed the wind in
the first comment and it would sure account for a much more
rapid heat loss. No lights on in my house at night, but the
comment on my garage failed to note that I have a freezer
that would provide some heat. Don't know how much. We heat
a well insulated building about 8' by 8' with a 7' ceiling
(one window and door) with a 100W bulb. In most cases it
stays at 40-50 degrees with less than 12 hours of light time
down to 5-10 degrees. Below 0 we usually run a small
heater set at 45 degrees but it doesn't come on very often.

I did a test the other night. Unfortunatly it got warmer outside than
when i originally asked.

Pretty consistently 20F oustide all night. Not windy when we went to
sleep but very windy in the morning. Furnace turned completely off.

Temp at midnight was about 66F in bedroom and 66F near thermostat.
Temp at 8am was 60.5 in bedroom and 61.5 near thermostat.

Kevin