Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Ralph Mowery Ralph Mowery is offline

Default Variac question

In article , says...

And just to further complicate matters, in domestic consumer units
nowadays, the spur is live when the switch is in the 'up' position and
'off' is down. This is arse-about-face to what I - at least - was brought
up with in the UK.

I live in the US. I don't know if it the code or not, but just about
all the light switches and many other types that work up and down, the
up is on and the down is off.

From what I have heard in the UK up is off and down is on for house
light switches.

I only have a couple of things around the house that have vertical
switches. The ones from China are up for on, but one from Japan is down
for on. Most everything else is push button and that is push in for on
if the switch stays in. On some the pushbutton just returns to the out
position.