Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Ralph Mowery Ralph Mowery is offline

Default Variac question

In article ,
says...

In fact I recall reading somewhere (can't find the link) that it is
against the electrical safety regulations to convert two conductor
products to three conductor. This could be incorrect, until I can find
the reference take it with a grain of salt. However many items wired for
two conductor would need to be modified for three conductor beyond just
adding a ground - in pinball and jukeboxes the older two conductor items
correctly had the power switch on one side of the line and the line fuse
on the other - this is totally wrong on three wire setups!

In just the last few years I have been looking at the older equipment (
some in the mid 1960s) and they were 2 wire devices. They had the
switch on one side of the transformer and the fuse on the other side. I
don't know about the code or why it was done that way. I would have
thought the fuse would come first on the hot wire and then the switch.
Much of the equipment is ham radio related and most users would have a
good connection of the chassis to the earth ground.