Posted to sci.electronics.repair
John-Del[_2_] John-Del[_2_] is offline

Default How to identify old tube amp chassis ?????

On Saturday, November 3, 2018 at 6:14:59 AM UTC-4, wrote:
On Saturday, 3 November 2018 06:10:09 UTC, Phil Allison wrote:
tabby wrote:

Phil Allison wrote:
John Robertson wrote:

I know of no jukebox amp that had plug in capacitors. I agree that a
theatre amp is most likely - I too would enjoy seeing photos of these
amps you have!

** The idea of using high voltage, plug-in electros seems quite unsafe.

At the very least, the outside metal case would have to be well
insulated so a user would not receive a serious shock if a charged
cap was withdrawn from the socket.

Even then, some of the octal pins would be hot while others
would be connected to the metal case.

Sounds like some amp builder's ones clever idea that is a bit too clever.

it wouldn't have been any great concern back then though.
Expectations have much changed. Bare live bits are frowned on now.

** Tubes have long been user replaceable items, sold direct to the public. Biggest risk is the glass breaks or you plug it in out of key.

Building an electro with octal plug on the end makes it appear just like a tube, so just as safe. So it has to be.

.... Phil

now there's a non sequitur

NT

Well, I'm sure he's being sarcastic..

Still, a theater amp wouldn't generally be serviced by a novice as common radios and TVs were by consumers. A professional technician would hopefully be aware of the dangers of hot-swapping an electro just as he should be about using any line powered test equipment on a hot chassis without isolation. If it meant getting a theater amp running quickly I guess it made sense..