Posted to rec.woodworking

Default OK to use pine for cutting board?

On 11/4/2018 2:20 PM, Michael wrote:

I would say no to pine because it's too soft and the fiber strands will swell when washed and will pull off and get into the food.

It might work ok if you are making end grain cutting boards from pine.

Just looked at a price list. 4/4 pine is $4 4/4 maple is $5.80. Not
enough to break the bank.

Also would depend on actual use. I'd use pine for slicing bread, but
not for cutting a roast or steak.

As mentioned, you can buy a board cheap enough, but there is some
satisfaction in using one you made yourself. The one I use most every
day is just a few maple boards about 4" wide and a juice grove that I
botched routing so I use it upside down. It is 14 1/2" wide because I
have a 15" planer.