Stormin Mormon

Default Furnace making loud grinding noise

I'd guess about $50 to $75 for the motor. Did you try a squirt of oil?
Sometimes that's all they need. I must be too cheap. I didn't call for
prices, but I suspect no where near that. But, on the other hand, they
didn't get the job. So they got zero.

--

Christopher A. Young
Jesus: The Reason for the Season

wrote in message
m...
wrote in message
om...

An quick update. Gas company is saying the power-vent brought to you
by "fieldcontrols" (see
http://www.fieldcontrols.com) will set me back
$600 plus $250 in labor. "It's very hard to replace it, will take at
least 3 hours".

I thought, seems a little high. Grabbed my toolbox, and took it apart
myself.
Piece of cake, I had the thing apart in 10 minutes, with most of the
time spend walking back and forth from outside to the basement.

Ok, so now I'm looking at a small motor, with a square plate of metal
with the axle sticking through it with a metal cylinder like fan
attached to it.

Is there any reason why I couldn't pick up a similar electric motor,
move over the blade, and slap it all back together again?
What would a motor cost, fifty bucks something in that neighborhood?

$600, pfff, the nerve, and they tell me this with a straight face...

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message

From your descrip, it sounds like it might be a booster fan to move the

flue
gasses up the pipe. Sometimes those have an oil hole on each end of the
motor. Couple drops of SAE 20 or SAE 30 oil might quiet things down.