David Babcock

Default Ariens Snowblower Seizing Up

"Ian Stock" wrote in message
I have an old Ariens snowblower that occasionally seems to be freezing up.
The engine works well, as does the wheel drive mechanism. The auger

system
seems to freeze up when left unused. I have found that exposing it to
heaters releases things and all works well.

Any idea of what would be freezing and how to remedy it?

Thanks,

Ian

Not many machines go through the abuse that a snowblower does. Maybe I am a
fanatic about maintaining equipment, but that might also be the reason I
have a 20 year old snowblower, a 14 year old lawnmower, and a 44 year old
car.
And they all run great.

After every use of the snowblower I let it idle for a couple minutes, while
idling I brush off as much snow as possible. A year old broken ice scraper
window brush is fine. Then into the shop, where it isn't heated unless I'm
in there working, but is warmer than outside. All the controls get sprayed
lightly with WD40, the bucket and chute get a silicone spray, and after
drying I try to spray it with the air hose to get rid of standing water.
All my power equipment is set on a schedule of oil changes and grease, and a
couple times a year I do a "grab and shake" looking for loose connection,
worn bearings and the like.
But that's me.........and my friends think I'm nuts.........but then again I
don't replace my toys every 5 years either.

Dave