Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Used Granite

On 01/11/2018 09:32, TimW wrote:
On 31/10/2018 12:36, TimW wrote:
On 31/10/18 09:01, cf-leeds wrote:
I'm in the process of refitting the kitchen, having united the
previous kitchen and dining room.

I removed the old granite work surfaces and kept them, rather than
throwing them in the skip. I thought they'd be worth something.

Looking on ebay, I see loads of people with a similar idea. I get
them impression looking at the prices that there's not much of a
market for used work tops.

Am I totally wrong. Anyone else out there tried to shift unwanted
granite/marble ?

Thanks

No, but working granite is beyond any normal builder or kitchen
fitter, let alone diy person. Cutting it is very difficult and often
dangerous. Cutting accurately almost impossible. Polishing the cut
edge requires industrial equipment, abrasives and water cooling.

TW

Not so sure that a diamond saw won't cut it well enough.

Agree wbout polishing though. Needs to be honed with more dianmond
edged stuff

But boy, it lasts...

A join between two slabs of worktop for instance. Getting the two edges
to meet would be impossible to do with a grinder and the best you could
hope for would be a neat run of a good coloured filler. When it comes
from the yard it has been cut on cnc machines to make a join that
doesn't need any filler because the edges meet perfectly.

Well no, it doesn't. They still use filler

TW

--
€œI know that most men, including those at ease with problems of the
greatest complexity, can seldom accept even the simplest and most

ۥ Leo Tolstoy