Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
whit3rd whit3rd is offline

Default Pot Repair

On Thursday, October 25, 2018 at 6:33:04 PM UTC-7, ABLE1 wrote:

I have a friend that has a large baked porcelain pot used for
the canning process....

There is a small hole at the bottom outside radius corner.

I've successfully repaired porcelain/steel once, when a hole opened
up in a dishwasher tub. I cleaned the spot, applied silicone RTV in a
thick blob. When it started to stiffen, I covered it with a bit of Glad-wrap, then
pushed the silicone into a hill over the bad spot.

After it cured, it didn't leak again.

It's possible some silicone RTV products won't take the temperature,
or that some fillers aren't food-safe, though. Maybe for canning (with no
direct food/water contact) it's OK, though.