Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Look165 Look165 is offline

Default Why does an LED replacement for fluorescent tube start with adelay?

Anyway, for LED you don't need aballast.

It is a resonant circuit designed for HPOT generation.

Kill it off and connct the LED directly to the mains '(w/o diodes).

You will have immediate lightning ; it is the ballast which introduces a
delay.

Tim R a écritÂ*:
I had the ballast in an old two tube T12 fluorescent fixture go bad.

The local big box had direct replacement LED tubes on sale, so I tried them. They wire directly to line current, no external ballast, but the tubes fit in the old tombstone connectors.

They work fine; they start at full brightness even when the room is cold, unlike the old fluorescents they replaced. BUT there is a long delay between flipping the switch and seeing them start. It's on the order of 1 - 2 seconds, I haven't tried measuring yet.

We've been discussing this on another forum. Why would there be a delay? It's not unique to mine, either, others have noticed similar results.