Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Great shop tip for us old farts

On Sun, 28 Oct 2018 21:29:11 -0500, gray_wolf
wrote:

On 10/24/2018 8:02 AM, Tom Gardner wrote:
Well, I find myself more unstable on my feet now so I need to be careful!* I
have big "C"- clamps tightened on the edges and corners of my workbench and on
shelving units and on other things like my drill press.* So anywhere I walk in
the shop there is a nearby handhold readily available.* In some places I have
clamped a short length of 2x4 in place.* All this has saved me a tumble or two.
sucks to get old and deteriorate!

I first realized I had a problem when I couldn't get out of the bath tub.
I couldn't stand up. After a while I managed to slide sideways to the floor.
I saw some ads for these various type of 'shower handles'. They maybe be
handy for other things too. I've just been showering these days but really
there are times I'd like to soak. Did a google search for "shower wall handle"

I installed dozens of grab bars for people over the past dozen years.
They work well (when properly fastened) and cost as little as $8 a
pop. Go to the store and pick out the diameter which feels best in
your hand. They come in 1", 1-1/4", and 1-1/2" diameters. I prefer
the 1-1/4" with knurled finish, myself, but I have very strong hands.
Install them with at least two screws on each side into the vertical
stud if your bath doesn't have blocking behind the wall covering. You
are potentially betting your life on their strong support. For
drilling tile, HF has a $10 set of carbide bits designed for it, and
they work well. https://is.gd/JXLW3q 61617 and 61618.

There are a ton of things out there that may be of help. The Strong Suction Cup
things are about $10.

I would never recommend anyone using one of those. The chance of
failure is high, with the things either slipping or coming entirely
free of the surface. Too dangerous.

--
"I have noticed even people who claim everything is predestined
and that we can do nothing to change it look before they cross