Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Contact cleaner for TEK 465B?

On Tue, 30 Oct 2018 12:47:40 +1300, "~misfit~"
wrote:

Once upon a time on usenet gregz wrote:
Some cam switches I think I just used alcohol. I never did, pbut
thinking of lube or cleaner lube, I love CRC 2-26.

I'll second the 2-26. It's the aerosol can I'd least like to do without for
electronics work.

Ok, let's see what you get for your money with CRC 2-26:
https://www.crcindustries.com/products/2-26-174-multi-purpose-precision-lubricant-16-fl-oz-02007.html
http://docs.crcindustries.com/msds/2007.pdf

Chemical Name CAS No %
Distillates (petroleum), 64742-47-8 70 - 80
hydrotreated light
Light mineral oil 8042-47-5 10 - 20
n-Butyl stearate 123-95-5 3 - 5
Fatty Acids, C18-unsatd, 61788-89-4 1 - 3
Dimers
Petrolatum 8009-03-8 1 - 3

Nice job of obfuscating the actual contents, but the CAS numbers
should produce something helpful.

Looks like it's mostly light petroleum distillate, which means
kerosene (paraffin) or something similar. Kerosene can be both a
solvent and a lubricant.

Light mineral oil probably means light mineral oil or white paraffin
oil. Yet another lubricant.

n-Butyl stearate is a fatty acid based on zinc. It's food safe and
kinda waxy. My guess is that it acts as a coating over the contacts
to prevent further oxidation.

Fatty Acids, C18-unsatd, dimers. C18 would be oleic or possibly
linoleic acid. I would guess linoleic acid which is a quick drying
oil. It reacts with oxygen in the air to form a protective coating.

Petrolatum is another name for petroleum jelly or something similar.
No clue what it's doing in the mix.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D