David Combs

Default while *laying* carpet; anticipating human "cow-trails"?

SUBJ: while *laying* carpet; anticipating human "cow-trails"?

Purchasing *extra* carpet, for later-fix-up of super-worn spots.

In our house at least, after a few years we get, in our
carpet, spots of *extreme* wear -- always at the same two or places.

For walking across a carpet, when walking in a straight
path, merely squishes-flat the carpet-threads and then
allows them to come back up. Not much wear caused by this.

However, when one *pivots* (the shoe sole) on a carpet, that
causes a forcefull rubbing-together of the carpet-threads; considering
that it's a person's entire weight that's crushing down *during* this
pivoting-action, ie crushing-down *on* the
abrading-against-each-other threads -- well, it's a wonder that
carpet lasts as long as it does!

These pivot-spots: where, on a carpet, would you expect them?

Anywhere the normal walking-path turns, the greater the
turn, the greater the thread-against-thread abrasion
(especially given the inevetible dirt, grit, perhaps even sand,
enabling a *real* grind-away action).

Not too many 150 to 180-degree switchbacks in the normal
house, but 90-degree turns seem to be pretty common.

(For me, my the pivoting of my shoe-sole against the carpet
occurs at the finall moment of a turning-step, where it's the
extended-behind leg that actually makes the
fully-weighted-down pivot that rotates me the
90-degrees. And it's of course that very spot that shows by far the
most wear.)

Of course, once your current carpet is a few years old, the
location of the heavier-wear spots will be
obvious -- you open your eyes, and there they are!

Presumably, you can expect any replacement-carpet to show exactly
the same wear-pattern.

-------------------------------

Now, my question: knowing ahead-of-time the location of
these extreme-wear spots, would it be possible (reasonable?) to install
the new carpet *such that* it will be not only easy but with an
(almost) undetectable result,
to get @i(extra) carpet to pre-cut to store away for later use
replacing *just* the super-worn areas?

That is, when originally installing the (new) carpet, when
installing near that known-wear-spot, to *specially* install it there,
maybe via *separate* carpet-pieces, with that extra carpet
having been cut in *exactly* the same way?

(Would sure be cheaper to have to replace one-twentieth of a
carpet, than the whole thing, when it's only within the
twentieth that any seeable-wear occurs!)

Comments, opinions?

Thanks!

David