Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Pete Keillor[_2_] Pete Keillor[_2_] is offline

Default PAM Cooking Spray

On Wed, 24 Oct 2018 06:35:36 +0700, John B. Slocomb
wrote:

On Tue, 23 Oct 2018 13:47:46 -0400, Leon Fisk
wrote:

On Tue, 23 Oct 2018 10:07:19 -0700
"Bob La Londe" wrote:

snip
Forgot the tapping fluid,
and I could feel the stainless starting to gall as I tried to start the tap.
Rather than walk back out to the shop I hit the tap with a shot of olive l
cooking spray and it worked. Maybe not as impressively as Tap-Magic tapping
fluid but good enough to tap a couple holes in some stainless sheet.

If I recall correctly "lard" was commonly used. If you find that round
tuit here is an old Machinery's Reference Book on Cutting Lubricants:

https://archive.org/details/cuttinglubricant00newyrich

All sorts of old concoctions you can experiment with

I can certainly remember when "lard oil" still used as a cutting
lubricant.

Me too, since I still use it.

Pete Keillor