Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Pot Repair

"Mike Spencer" wrote in message

gray_wolf writes:

On 26 Oct 2018 03:52:39 -0300, Mike Spencer

My last failed enamelware item was a dishpan. JB Weld after acid
prep
worked but didn't last.

Did you use the JB weld on the inside? I don't think you could heat
it
much over water's boiling point.

Well, there was a *hole*, y'know? So inside and outside both. And
we
don't wash dishes in boiling water. But no, JB Weld doesn't do well
on things placed directly on the top of the wood-fired kitchen
range.
--
Mike Spencer Nova Scotia, Canada

JB Weld didn't last in the sandblasted fender rust-throughs on my car
either. This time instead of carefully inletting a flush steel patch I
overlapped the patch inside and rebuilt the fender curves with an edge
reinforcement of MIG bead and Bondo.

I just bought an 8 quart stainless kettle to try cooking a roast on
the woodstove the way the store meat dept manager suggested, under a
larger inverted kettle. When filled it leaked at the handle rivets,
which called for a bit of hammer and anvil work.
-jsw.