Jim Elbrecht

Default Radiant heat - advantages & disadvantages

On Tue, 27 Jan 2004 05:46:39 -0800, Paul Conley
wrote:

I'm in the process of buying a house north of Albuquerque, NM,
that has radiant heat. Should I be smiling or frowning? Any
advantages or shortcomings to this approach to keeping my
footsies warm?

There is a world of difference in the many heating systems called
'Radiant'.

A few I'm familiar with just in the northeast US are; concrete slabs
that heat conductors [electric cables, or steam/water pipes] have been
buried in; glass electric panels that heat each room individually;
metal panels that are placed above the windows & run on electricity;
steam heat that is distributed through 'radiators'.

Each of those different systems have their own advantages &
disadvantages. [and in the scheme of things, have less to do with
comfort than insulation does]

Jim