Mark or Sue

Default Tips for driving Tapcons?

"Minnie Bannister" wrote in message
I am having a terrible time trying to drive 1/4" x 4" hex-head Tapcon
screws into our basement walls (approx. 2" of drywall + insulation, then
the concrete): I have used a 3/16" drill (not a genuine Tapcon bit,
because the store did not have any long enough), but any wrench I have
tried (ring or socket) starts slipping and chewing up the head before
the screw is deep enough.

I know the blue coating is supposed to have lubricating properties, but
am I supposed to use any additional lubricant? Or is there something
special about a genuine Tapcon bit that would have made life easier?

MB

First, it seems like you're running about 2" of that tapcon into the concrete. I think this is more
than what is intended and it will be hard to drive it in that far. Usually, about an inch of
penetration is all you need.

Next, make sure your hole is equal to the depth the screw is going plus another 1/4". Then, make
sure the hole isn't filled with dust or chips.

--
Mark
Kent, WA