Posted to uk.d-i-y
Bob Minchin[_4_] Bob Minchin[_4_] is offline

Default DIY: Separating mains and low voltage cables in trunking

Tricky Dicky wrote:
I am looking to use some 50mm X 50mm trunking around the garage to take mains wiring. I would also like to run some Cat5e cables in the trunking but I cannot find any that will take a separator and was wondering if it was acceptable to install smaller trunking within the larger one and enclose the low voltage cables within?

Richard

I could be wrong but had always assumed the requirement was based on the
need for separation between power and data to reduce
interference/inductive/capacitive coupling.

Putting trunking within trunking might increase the electrical
insulation but the mains cable itself should have more than adequate
insulation anyway.