Posted to alt.home.repair
Frank[_24_] Frank[_24_] is offline

Default Fitting a Stove UK

On 10/24/2018 10:57 PM, rbowman wrote:
On 10/24/2018 06:09 PM, Frank wrote:
On 10/24/2018 6:25 PM, Dean Hoffman wrote:
On 10/23/18 5:12 PM, Bob Green wrote:
In the process of researching wood stoves and the installation process.
Looking for recommendations and advice on what I should know regulation
wise etc.

Â*Â*Â*Â* I don't have any technical wisdom to add.Â* The very few people I
know who tried
them tired of the work involved after a year or two.

I quit using my fireplaces mostly because wife does not like the smell
of smoke but it was work and dirty having to constantly bring in wood
and the dirt and the bugs with it.

We have a neighbor whose wood burner is built into the whole house oil
heat system.Â* He uses very little oil but does work hard collecting wood.

Most people around here get permits to cut trees on forest service land.
I think the permit is $5 but that's only the start. There's the
chainsaw, splitter, and so forth. If you don't have one, throw in the
cost of a beater pickup. Don't forget to factor in the repairs after you
try to haul a ton and a half of wood in a 3/4 ton pickup.

There are unforeseen expenses too. A friend of mine correctly figured if
he cut on the uphill side of the road he could roll the logs down to the
road. Not a bad plan but one of the chunks bounced off a couple of rocks
and broadsided his truck. At least it only got the front fender and not
the door.

The ranch supply store used to have a placard by the cash register
outlining how much you could 'save' burning wood. I forget if they
factored in the cost of the divorce when the wife gets sick of studying
entomolgy in the living room. For extra points fall over the dog while
carrying a bucket of ashes and coals out and burn a few holes in the rug.

All true.

Neighbor that had moved last year, when he moved in a few years ago a
large poplar that I had planted just off the corner of our lots fell
between us taking down a few other trees. We split the cost of removal
and cutting them up and I told him that he could keep all the wood which
he was grateful for - maybe about 3 cords.

What neighbor had not considered was that wood was cut to length but had
to be split. He also had to haul it up the hill in the back to put near
his house. He was not happy with this but just did not understand that
this was the way things were done. Even though workplace was his back
yard it took him and his son quite a while to get the work done.