Posted to alt.home.repair
ChairMan[_9_] ChairMan[_9_] is offline

Default Wood chips on wild grass

Oren wrote:
On Wed, 24 Oct 2018 10:41:28 -0500, "ChairMan"
wrote:

Terry Coombs wrote:
On 10/20/2018 12:24 PM, ChairMan wrote:
Oren wrote:
On Fri, 19 Oct 2018 16:41:30 -0500, "ChairMan" no

wrote:

Oren wrote:
On Fri, 19 Oct 2018 16:44:22 -0400, Tekkie®

wrote:

Oren posted for all of us...

On Thu, 18 Oct 2018 19:07:07 -0500, Grease Monkey
wrote:

How deep do you spread wood chips?
https://i.postimg.cc/hPpMZsVC/chips.jpg

A tree trimming crew asked if they could leave
"wood
chips" where
I hadn't expected such a huge pile. I'll need to
spread them out
a bit.

How deep on existing soil & wild grass would you
put
wood chips?

I'll have to wheelbarrow them and spread them out
with a rake.
I just want to know how deep to spread them.
Spread the pile soon. I have seen large piles of
chips become
infested with ticks. I mean plenty of ticks.
Sometimes they start smoking because the internal
temperature rises
from "the rot".
10-4 They get hot.

If the chips were say, California Red Oak, Peach,
Pear,
Cherry,
etc., I buy some bags of it.
They'd be great for the smoker

You betcha. Any nut or fruit tree will do it. I've
moved
away from
chips for the most part and now prefer chunks. Last
longer and gives
smoke longer. 'Course you don't want to over smoke the
meat -- taste
the meat with a hint of smoke. Been using hickory
chunks
in my most
recent cooks.
Next time ya cook some burgers, try some cherry. Damn its
good, I can get my grandson to come see me if I tell him
I'm
cookin cherry burgers.
It gives 'em a nice mahogany color and taste great.
I'm with on the chunks, the chips just burn off to quick
and
ya don't get enough smoke from them

Wild cherry trees are considered weeds around here ...
and they get
pretty big too . I have a nice little stack of logs ,
chunk it up as
needed for the smoker . Got a lot of hickory trees out
there among the
oaks too .

oak and hickory are great together

Both are high in BTU. Helps me to stabilize temps in the smoker. Some
people mix in pecan (pee-con) to add a nice smoke flavor to oak or
hickory.

Post oak and hickory are the go to here in Tejas for briskets, I use pecan
for my pork butts.