Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Fitting a Stove UK

On 10/24/2018 7:25 AM, Bob Green wrote:
Thanks for the response, appreciate it!

Did you install your own? I have a chimney but think it needs some TLC
before putting it back to use.

Â* You're probably going to have to put a liner in that chimney ,
stainless steel I think is what they use .

I've been looking into some so far and have been able to distinguish
between catalytic and non-catalytic, is that what you are referring to?
Or is the "afterburner" technology something else?

Â* Yes , cat and non-cat . If I remember right , the non-cat units add
combustion air to the smoke stream to burn it more completely before it
goes up the flue . Look up TLUD (top lit updraft) burners for an idea
how that works .

Been looking at some reviews and comparisons, this one in particular
talks about non-catalytic vs catalytic:
https://heattalk.com/best-wood-stove-reviews/

Â* Good web site , the section on combustion tech describes what I meant
about combustion air added to the smoke stream .

But in terms of use, are we free to use them however we want or does it
depend on your local authority etc?

Â* Out here in the woods of north central Arkansas there are no
restrictions . In an urban area that may not be true - you need to check
with your local authorities .

--
Snag
Yes , I'm old