Posted to alt.home.repair
trader_4 trader_4 is offline

Default Flourescent light fixture not working

On Monday, October 22, 2018 at 6:14:25 PM UTC-4, Clare Snyder wrote:
On Mon, 22 Oct 2018 16:21:25 -0400, Dan Espen
wrote:

" writes:

I was sold the wrong kind of tube lights at Home Depot. I asked for
help and showed them my 32 watt 4 foot fluorescent tube that was burnt
out and the guy sold me a 10 pack of LED tube lights.

I tried them in one of the fixtures and of course they did not work
and now that fixture doesn't work. The other fixture is working fine.
I got 4 brand new fluorescent tubes this morning.

I double checked and the bulbs in the bad fixture are good.

Could the LED bulbs had burnt out something in the fixture?

Thanks for any feedback on this.

This is a case where you are going to have to read the instructions.
Hopefully the bulbs came with instructions.
Normally LED bulbs do require some re-wiring of the fixture.
You bypass the ballast and supply power at one end.

Wrong.
The LED tubes sold by Home Despot do NOT require rewiring - but they
DO require a functioning ballast. The fixture failed to light the
original tubes because the ballast was weak. Bad tubes can accellerate
ballast failure and bad ballasts can accellerate tube failure.

Now, if you only needed 2 tubes and you let the 'droid sell you a case
of 10, there is definitely some "ballast" involved above your
shoulders as well - - - - - - They DO sell pakages of 2.

Ouch.