Posted to alt.home.repair
trader_4 trader_4 is offline

Default Two stroke weed whacker primer bulb

On Monday, October 22, 2018 at 1:40:40 PM UTC-4, trader_4 wrote:

OK, so here's the latest. Upon looking at the plumbing, I realized
that the primer bulb, even if it's leaking, can't be the problem.
It's on the after side of the carb. Fuel flows from the tank,
to the carb, out the carb, to the primer bulb suctions side, out
the primer bulb and back to the tank via the return line.

But, just to be sure, I did bypass it and the symptoms don't change.
Starts right up idles, runs up as you give it throttle, but at speed
after about 15 seconds, it just dies out. Further suspecting a fuel
problem, I tried running it with the return hose disconnected.
While it's running, no gas is coming out of the return. So, logically
what's happening, it's barely getting enough gas to run and when I
advance the throttle, there isn't enough so it quits. This is the
same problem it had ten years ago, when I gave up on it.

So, the only remaining two possibilites a

1 - The carb isn't pumping properly

2 - The fuel filter in the tank is clogged.

The fuel filter, I had out. It had a kind of red, oily look to it, I
presume from the remaining gas evaporating over ten years and the oil
and some residue being left behind. I sprayed it out with carb cleaner,
blew it out with compressed air and it looks OK from what I can tell.
I doubt that's the problem, but it's still possible that it's partially
clogged and can't flow enough. I will diagnose further.

The carb, IDK. Taking it apart it looked OK, a little residue that came
right out, no corrosion. I'm no ace with regular carbs, let alone these
two stroke gizmos. It has two plastic gaskets, one on each side. I
guess one or both vibrate to pump the fuel? One has a dime size dome
to it of the same material, no metal. The one on the other side has a
nickel size piece of
metal in the middle. IDK how flexible they are supposed to be, if they
can stretch and no longer work, etc. All I know is there isn't any
cracking, no missing pieces, they look OK, so what's wrong?

Here is a link to a rebuild kit on Ebay. The two plastic diaphragm gizmos
in mine are the two on the left side of the first/main photo. The other
similar ones are for other models. I guess I can
buy a rebuild kit. All the other pieces in mine, eg the valve, spring, etc
in that kit in mine look OK. Is there anything I should look for in those
two parts that indicate they are bad and the source of my problem?

Another question, on welch plugs, I remember on a Tecumseh, the service
manual said that after you put them in you should coat them with nail polish.
I did that. Seemed kind of nuts, like you'd think gas would dissolve it,
no? What are you supposed to do with welch plugs after you replace them?

I guess another option is just shell out $35 for a whole new carb.

TIA for any help.