Posted to alt.home.repair
Ralph Mowery Ralph Mowery is offline

Default dehumidifyer failure mode

In article , says...

I'm now dealing with one in the basement that was a replacement on a
recall. It now seems to be on its last leg too. I'm really considering
buying the Aprilaire which is really pricey, like $1100, but made in the
US. Then I was thinking of installing it as a whole house unit, which
is what it was designed for. It is needed in the house as we are in a
wet mountain location. The central AC does a ok job of keeping the
humidity reasonable, but the humidifier should lower the humidity with
less AC run time. That all said, today, the temperature outside was in
the 30s and the basement humidity is low enough for the dehumidifier to
shut off.

Most of the dehumidifiers will not work very well if the temperature in
the room gets much below 70 deg F or so. They work by cooling the air
going through them low enough the moisture in the air condenses out..

I think you can get some special units that will work at lower
temperatures.