Posted to alt.home.repair
Ralph Mowery Ralph Mowery is offline

Default dehumidifyer failure mode

In article ,
says...

This one, just over a year old, is different. It started shutting off the fan when satisfied but not the compressor. The power switch did nothing, it had to be unplugged. Made weird noises, too. And arced like crazy when I plugged it back in.

IMO, these are the one appliance where it's worth considering taking out the
extended warranty plan. I did on one here and it crapped out in about
the third year. But still there is some gotcha, they didn't have that
model anymore and the replacement one was slightly higher capacity.
So they wanted me to pay the difference in price, which was about $25
more. Still, between the extended warranty and the $25, it was less than
half the cost what I would have paid for a new one.

I have to agree with you on that. Many people only have them last a
couple of years. I don't understand it myself. It is just a
refrigerator or AC unit in principle and they last many years.