Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Contact cleaner for TEK 465B?

On Sun, 21 Oct 2018 16:23:44 -0700, wrote:

I have a Tektronix 465B. I bought it used because it was one of the
scopes recommended by folks who post here and on the electronics basic
group. And I know hardly anything about oscilloscopes. It has worked
very well until two days ago. The volts/div switch has one position
where the display gets all wanky. I thinks that's the proper technical
term. When any other position is chosen on the switch the display
works perfectly. In the one bad position the display shows different
types of wankyness as I wiggle the selector knob slightly back and
forth. So I'm thinking about spraying some Deoxit D5 into the switch.
I'll probably need to remove the scope cover to do this. Is this a bad
idea? Is there a better solution?
Thanks,
Eric

"Cleaning the Volts/Div Attenuator Switch Contacts in Tektronix 4XX
Oscilloscopes"
http://fullnet.com/~tomg/tekclean.htm

"Topic: Contact Cleaner and Switch lubricant"
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/chat/contact-cleaner-and-switch-lubricant/

"Tek 465 Cleaning"
https://www.raynetrepair.us/tektronix-465/cleaning.html
The recommendation of using WD-40 is controversial.

--
Jeff Liebermann

150 Felker St #D
http://www.LearnByDestroying.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Skype: JeffLiebermann AE6KS 831-336-2558