Posted to uk.d-i-y
David David is offline

Default Old style fuse carrier colours and ratings

On Sat, 20 Oct 2018 17:41:24 +0100, John Rumm wrote:

On 20/10/2018 14:07, David wrote:
On Sat, 20 Oct 2018 11:10:31 +0000, David wrote:

Just having a quick look at this to try and identify circuits from the
colour of the fuses (cartridge or wire, not sure which).

I know these are getting less common as time goes on, but it would be
helpful dealing with old installations.

I think that red dot is 30/32 amp for ring mains, white dot is 5/6 amp
lighting.

Yup, typically.

However there seem to be two blue dots.

https://www.electriciansforums.co.uk/threads/main-fuse-colours.15106/

Typically 15A - so radials to dedicated appliances, or perhaps small
bunches of sockets.

As far as I know there is 13 amp, lighting, an electric oven from Ikea
(which may or may not be 13A), a combi boiler (which may or may not
have its own circuit) and an electric shower which should have a green
45A.

I don't recall ever seeing that style of CU with green dot fuses. Only
what you have, and possibly yellow.

There are two red dot, one white dot, and two (apparently) blue dot.

More later.

Some wider shots of the whole installation might help us give you a
better run down of what is there and how it works as a system.
However from what we can see he

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/images/a/a4/Fuse_Box.jpg

Yup, bog standard 6 way wylex BS3036 rewireable fuse box. The fuse
carriers look like Blank, 15A, 5A, 15A, 30A, 30A going left to right.

The fuse cover is missing (common) - and has been for a while (the screw
hole is covered by the sticker)

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/images/4/4d/Other_Thing.jpg

I am guessing that someone has added this RCD as a "whole house" unit -
it probably has its output split and then feeds the wylex unit and the
more modern small CU to its left. (here is where the wider shot would
help to trace the wires etc)

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/images/c/c9/RCCB_MCB.jpg

Small CU with another RCD (might be downstream of the Mem branded one in
the other box). You have two circuits, a 40A and a 32A. The former is
probably the shower circuit. I would guess this CU was added when the
shower was installed.

Thanks - that makes a lot of sense.

I did post some wide angler shots before the house purchase but it is a
rat's nest and I couldn't trace the wires in the brief time I spent
looking.

I'm now wondering what the spurs might be for.

It would be nice of one was for the fan oven and the other for the combi
boiler.

I should give up guessing and wait for the owner to get round to the
diagnostic work.

Cheers

Dave R

---