Posted to uk.d-i-y
David David is offline

Default Old style fuse carrier colours and ratings

On Sat, 20 Oct 2018 12:08:15 +0000, Andrew Gabriel wrote:

In article ,
David writes:
Just having a quick look at this to try and identify circuits from the
colour of the fuses (cartridge or wire, not sure which).

You absolutley mustn't assume things are wired up logically or correctly
or to the fuseways you think they should be.

I know these are getting less common as time goes on, but it would be
helpful dealing with old installations.

I think that red dot is 30/32 amp for ring mains, white dot is 5/6 amp
lighting.

However there seem to be two blue dots.

Could be immersion heater.

If it's really old and converted radial circuits, you could find a ring
circuit with a 15A fuse on each end of the ring.

https://www.electriciansforums.co.uk/threads/main-fuse-colours.15106/

White-5A Grey-10A Blue-15A Yellow-20A Red-30A Green-45A

As far as I know there is 13 amp, lighting, an electric oven from Ikea
(which may or may not be 13A), a combi boiler (which may or may not
have its own circuit) and an electric shower which should have a green
45A.

There are two red dot, one white dot, and two (apparently) blue dot.

There is no longer an immersion heater. The fuse cover has a note of which
fused serviced it but is definitely out of date.
There is an electric shower which needs a dedicated 45A circuit and I
can't immediately identify the expected green fuse carrier.

I am persuading the home owner to power down and pull the fuses to look at
the backs.

I suspect that a blue fuse carrier (previously for the immersion heater)
may now have a higher power fuse in for the shower but I would like to
check to be sure.

The house was previously a rental and had an electrical safety check a few
years back. I am assuming that simple things like fuse ratings were
included.

Cheers

Dave R

---