Posted to uk.d-i-y
Brian Gaff Brian Gaff is offline

Default Is it smart to get smart meters yet (/ever)?

Personally I'd leave it for as longer so possible as many companies have got
them sitting in warehouses and they are the old types. They would just love
to clear the space. The newer ones will, I understand be able to more
readily cope if you change supplier and also be more secure and according to
ofgen, have facilities for talking control boxes.
In the main the companies seem very unaware of the capabilities of the
current or future meters I've found, so hold off.

Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"T i m" wrote in message
Mum (88) had a letter from e-on suggesting she would have to have her
meters changed and they would be smart meters, except if she couldn't
have them or didn't want them? ;-)

I'm pretty sure she's not going to start leaving lights on where she
didn't before, or replace the LED / CFL's with incandescent or turn
the heating up to use more gas, even if she found out it wasn't as
expensive as she thought?

So, where are we on them now ... are they a 'good thing' or likely to
be / stay one, do I ring them up and say 'no thanks' for her?

Cheers, T i m