Posted to alt.home.repair
trader_4 trader_4 is offline

Default Wave "Dehumidifier" -- Has anyone here tried it?

On Thursday, October 18, 2018 at 8:42:18 PM UTC-4, wrote:
On Wednesday, May 26, 2010 at 8:30:49 PM UTC-4, Ivan wrote:
I live in an area with a high water table, and my basement gets quite
humid; it recently flooded when the sump pump failed. The basement
area is about 1300 to 1500 sq ft, and is divided into rooms, though
only two of those rooms (one of which is a store room that also houses
the sump) have doors. There is also a small room housing the gas
furnace and hot-water heater. I used to have a small, inadequate
dehumidifier (built into the partition between the main room and sump
room) that ran all the time and did little good. One satisified owner
in a similar locale has recommended the Wave Home Solutions
ventilation unit, which should certainly use less power than a large
dehumidifier, but I'd like other opinions. Anyone here have experience
with it? Any suggestions on what to look for in a regular dehumidifier?

Drew, the sales guy, promises the moon and fails to deliver. Sounds like half snake, half used car salesman. When sending email correspondence he only answers some question and seems to have problems communicating.

After the sell, you'll get no response until you open a card dispute. Then, they demand pictures proving their ideal install. They will make you jump through fiery hopes to return the item and then will charge you a restocking fee.

This device, just so you are aware, is a very large PC style fan in a large empty box. Weighs ~1 pound. All it will do is provide so ventilation. You can buy a much more powerful squirrel cage fan for 10% of the cost. They claim it will take multiples SEAONS for humidity to go down lol. Does nothing but push air (A very small amount).

Told this con artist my outside humidity is higher than inside, but still promised it would work.

It will work with outside humidity higher. It pulls air OUT of the basement,
with return air coming from upstairs, inside the conditioned airspace.
Say it's 85F outside, high humidity. So, you have the AC running in the
house. This thing blows basement air outside, with the replacement air
coming into the basement from the conditioned air upstairs, that is low
humidity. That upstairs air in turn is made up by outside air entering
through cracks around doors, windows, etc. So, you're pulling high humidity,
hot air into the upstairs with the house AC cooling it and removing the
humidity. They tell you it costs little to operate the fan, but ignore
the AC energy upstairs that has an increased load due to constantly pulling
in outside hot, humid air. AFAIK, that's how it works. So, I can see how
it works, but it also sounds like the true cost shows up in the AC electric
usage, which will be higher. There is no free lunch.

I came to your conclusion from looking at it years ago. Like you say,
it's just a fan with a humidistat control. You could put that together
for what, $75 in parts?

When trying to do a return you get routed to another company - because they are only white labeling the use of this product. I use this word sparingly, but it's a brilliant scam. You've been warned.